Thursday, March 27, 2008

THE BOOKENDS OF SUCCESS


The idea for this post came to me from an e-mail subscription to Leadership Wired a ministry of John Maxwell http://www.injoy.com/.

Great leaders understand the two bookends of success: starting and finishing. We generally think about them in terms of doing a task or project. However, what's true in our approach to projects is also true in our approach to each day. How we spend our mornings and evenings has a tremendous bearing on the course of our leadership.

Our mornings and evenings are just about the only times of the day where we can have control over what we do with our time. I try to isolate the first and last half hour of each day for my communion with God. I start my morning remembering who God is, who He says I am, and what He has sent me to do for that particular day. It is a prayerful, meditative strategy session.

I try each day to make Jesus the first one I talk to. During this time, I allow no interruptions, and I isolate myself from distractions. I do not permit myself to strategize years down the road or to project my thoughts months into the future. Rather, I narrow my focus to the upcoming 24 hours. I ask myself: "Just for today, how can I be a success?" Viewing life in 24-hour increments, I place a premium on each day. I try to make each one the best possible!

During the evening, I reflect on my day. By reflecting, I translate my day's experiences into learning opportunities. This process solidifies in my mind the lessons I've discovered or bits of knowledge I've uncovered. Reflecting also gives me the space to assess my progress on the goals I made during the morning.

Relaxation is another important part of my evening routine. I make a point to put my leisure time into activities that replenish me by refueling my energy. For me, such activities include spending quality time with my wife, reading a book, or studying Scriptures. Relaxation puts me in a good emotional state, lifts my spirits, and reminds me of the joys of life. My last half hour is devoted to time with God. Sitting or laying out in His Presence, waiting on Him, loving Him and casting all my cares on Him because he cares for me and will instruct me in throughout the night!

When I neglect to carve out time in the morning to meet with God and plan my day, I notice adverse effects. First, I don't live my day on purpose. Instead of choosing where to invest my time, I cede control of my schedule to whatever circumstances happen to arise. Second, I squander my energy. Since I don't have clear goals for my day, I float from one activity to another without getting anything done. Finally, when I skip my morning meditation, I feel overwhelmed. If I don't focus my attention, the weight of my numerous involvements begins to drag me down.

When I am not intentional about setting aside evening time to meet with God and for relaxation, I encounter negative symptoms, too. First, I get uptight. My times of reflection and relaxation act like valves that release stress from my life. If I don't guard those times, I get tense, my thoughts are more negative, and my health suffers. Second, I lose passion. My leisure times fuel me. If I am not intentional about putting time into my favorite activities, then life loses its luster. Third, I miss chances to grow. When I don't reflect on the meaningful moments from each day, I rob myself of the benefits of experience.

Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is out of reach. That's why today matters. Leaders who value each day know the importance of starting well and finishing strong. By mastering the bookends of success, leaders position themselves to make an impact every day.

One of the greatest leaders to ever live wrote, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success". Josh.1:8. Give God your mornings and evenings and watch what happens!

Grace and Peace,
Ed

No comments: